Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Don't Burnout!


I know I haven’t written in a while, and I apologize for the delay. Lately, my work life has gotten quite busy and I’m still in the process of learning how to balance everything. So I know many individuals my age are in the same boat in life as I am. Well, I made it; have a graduate degree, have a nice job, now what? It just seems like my life has SLOWED compared to my college years. I always had SOMETHING to do, social, academic or otherwise and now it seems that work consumes most of my time. And if I’m not careful, it can consume ALL of it. 

The past few weeks, due to circumstances beyond me or my direct leadership’s control, I had to work over 70 hours a week. While that may be normal to some individuals (props to you) it is NOT normal for me and I will NEVER make it be normal for me. I learned early on, during my first few jobs, that it is very important to set boundaries to develop an appropriate work/life balance. While that balance may not be the same for every individual, every individual DOES need to take the time to understand what their boundaries are. 

After that is completed, an honest conversation needs to happen with your direct leadership. Many of these conversations can happen during the hiring process or immediately thereafter, but it is a little more challenging to find the time and place to initiate these conversations if your role has changed, like mine has in the past few months. Your boss may not have control over what your hours or projects may be, but they need to be in the know of your expectations and limitations. Know your “deal breakers” and know that this job is not the only opportunity out there.  Also, know that sometimes, these situations are sometimes temporary, but you never know for sure without having the conversation.

Life is FAR too short for you to sit in a situation that makes you very unhappy (it IS work, so it may make you unhappy at times, but it shouldn’t be every day). While I know everyone needs to work to survive, we need to stop feeling as if our current position is our only option. Keep your options open, network and understand your industry’s climate so that you have an “out” when things get unreasonable for you. It could be a lateral move within your company, especially if you value working for that specific organization. 

In every new thing that has come along, I felt as if there was no way I could manage my expectations, other people’s expectations and my time to get everything done as well as have a “life.” I always have figured out a way, but it does take some time and thought. Many times, we jump into things (I do this too) and don’t really think of what will happen long term. Many times, also, we get burnt out from working so hard at something. That, to me, is the worst outcome that you can have.

1 comment: