Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Generational Confusions


I’ve had a lot of good entry ideas for the past week, but while reading my morning news, (yes, reading, but on the internet) I think it’s time for this post. Just as a reminder, I use my own thoughts and insights when writing these. Yours can be different, which is fine and welcomed.

While working in a Human Resources function, I’ve heard many comparisons between generations. Baby Boomers, Gen X, and Gen Y/Millennials are typically the ones that are discussed. I’ll give a little overview of each so that you have at least a little background before I dive into my entry. Some of these dates and names are disputed, but here is the Cliff Notes version. (Skip if you want)

Baby boomers have birthdates within the years of 1946 and 1964 and are characterized as individualistic, defiant and pragmatic, but idealistic. They rejected the social structure of the 50s and early 60s and began to change it. Within the workplace, they are workaholics that desire quality and question authority. Gen Xers have birthdates within the years of 1965-1980 and are characterized as self-reliant, resourceful and ambitious. At work, they value freedom and responsibility, are anxious to learn new skills and value authenticity. Gen Y/Millennials have birthdays ranging between 1980 and 2000 and are characterized as well-educated, confident and have a need for a variety of challenges. Within the workplace, they have a need to be heard and taken seriously, a desire for rewarding opportunities (individually and for the company) and have fulfilling work.  More about generations can be found here.

While many times these generations are seen as very different, I see many similarities. The differences lie in how these ideals and needs are expressed. Gen Y/Millennials are characterized time and time again as being entitled. They don’t want to “pay their dues” within an organization. As a Millennial, I can see how this is true. Because the overall structure of work has changed and organizations do not have that “psychological contract” with employees anymore to keep them long term and do what is both parties’ best interests, there simply is no “pay your dues” within the organization. I feel that you have to make a splash in order to be valued. To do that, you have to be vocal, goal-oriented and push convention, which makes it appear to others that I feel that I deserve certain things. I don’t feel I deserve certain things, but I do expect to be able to do my job to the best of my ability and I know that I need to create value. Paying my dues, long term, will result in either being eliminated or passed by, especially the current job and economic climate. 

The other thing that I value is having an organization that values me as an individual. It’s ok if it isn’t every day, but the day that I feel that I am not being valued, I become unhappy. I work hard and I work fast. It supremely bothers me that value gets placed on the person who is at work the longest. That does not mean that they are working hardest, that means that they are working slowest or that means they don’t have outside obligations. I like the different metrics to measure performance, such as output, sales, etc. I also like being put in an environment that increases my productivity, such as working from home. I want to do what is best for the company, but it does get frustrating when that company doesn’t see that. The best way I’ve found around this is to be open and honest with my superiors. I basically lay out that I want to do this right, here is a plan, here are the action steps, etc. That again may come across as entitled, but I am coming up with a solution rather than harping on the problem. 

Those are just two examples of Millennials in the workplace, but I have many more. It seemed that every article I read on generational differences is that the older generation felt that the younger generation was too entitled, too idealistic and too individual. I think many times, that these traits are just displayed differently based upon the time period and events that shaped the generations. I think understanding the strengths, being sensitive to why those groups of people act in such a matter and working towards a solution will make the different generations work together to have a great, varied team.

1 comment:

  1. This was good and goes hand in hand with my research on Millennials. Good work!

    ReplyDelete