Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Party of 1


If you know me, you know I’m a pretty social individual (and that may be the understatement of the century). I like to be around people and do things in groups. I also will talk your ear off.  I’ve gone somewhere I didn’t want to go just to hang out with a group of friends and not gone somewhere I really wanted to because no one could go with me. I’ve recently reconsidered this as I feel like I’m missing out on my own fun. 

I was actually forced to reconsider this when a long-term relationship of mine ended. I don’t know about everyone, but for me going from hanging out with a specific person every day to not doing that is a huge change for me. Plus, your “go-to” person has switched over the period of a long term relationship. While I have the best BFF EVER, I have to coordinate much more to be able to hang out with her than my significant other. You just fall into a routine. 

Anyway, after that I had many evenings spend alone. Not to wallow (because I don’t do that) but just because my friends had their own routines and things to do that I was not a part of. I was actually surprised that I LIKED that time. I would make dinner, go shopping or go to dance class. I would go out to eat by myself or sit and read in a coffee shop. I was then able to always do what I want, when I wanted to without having to rely on other people’s schedules and time. 
 
Even though I’m in a relationship now, I often do things alone. I realized I prefer shopping alone and sometimes a dinner alone is a nice relaxer. For example, yesterday, I REALLY wanted to have my favorite Cajun place’s crawfish and bread pudding to celebrate Mardi Gras. No one could go with me, but I went anyway. It was nice to meet and talk to the people around me and the staff. I learned more about the people that wait on me than if I would have been with someone else. And I got some really good food. :)

I’d encourage everyone to have me time. Whether that involves vegging out on the couch, going out to dinner or shopping, doing things alone doesn’t mean that you have to feel lonely while doing them. And you may make more connections by hanging out by yourself, if you are into the social side of things. Once you feel comfortable doing stuff by yourself, you’ll never regret not going somewhere just because no one else could go with you. Party of 1 can actually be a party! :)

2 comments:

  1. Alone time hiking in nature is fun too :)

    Naps are probably the best though (extra bed space) and all you can eat places (more table space) !!

    Wait when was Mardi Gras !?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shadow & Lucky know whats up!

    ReplyDelete