Wednesday, July 13, 2011

TR 30 Days Update-Getting There!

I have been working diligently to accomplish all of my #TR30Days goals! I really have loved every minute of this "experiment" and am looking forward to continue to do little monthly goals!

  • Go to practice or the gymnastics gym at least 2 times per week for at least 2 hours
    • I have done this for the most part and I'm glad that my body is looking like what I'm used to it looking like! This week I have slacked a bit, but  this goal was to "get me moving" so to speak
    • I actually cheered at San Francisco Pride with my cheer team the end of June and we performed our routines 12 times and walked a LONG parade route that weekend! I loved the feeling of being active and performing again!
  • Participate in at least 2 community service functions in the area  
    • I actually have accomplished this, but it wasn't "in the area"
    • 1. I helped man a lemonade stand at Maggiano's Northpark to raise funds to help the kids they sponsored for the Make A Wish Foundation to get their wishes
    • 2. While in San Francisco our cheer teams raised $5500 for Aids Emergency, which is a fund that helps individuals pay for daily and monthly things while struggling with AIDS.
  • Gain at least 500 twitter followers and follow at least 500 tweeters
    • Now, I haven't accomplished this goal yet, but I am currently following 474 pages, and I LOVE that I added a variety of interests to them! I now get tweets on painting, dancing and cheerleading :) 
    • I think getting 500 followers was a bit of a stretch, but I am currently sitting at 298, which is basically 100 extra followers from the time I started! Definitely progress :)
  • Take on a larger project at work and rock it out
    • I have done this, but it is definitely not finished; my goal at my job is to be a liaison between research and marketing. My goal is to create case studies and white papers consistently over time and keep everything fresh. I am now in charge of it!!!
  • Go on a date at least once a week with Ryan
    • While I may not being going out, I do make an effort to cook or watch a movie with Ryan at least once a week if not  more. 
  • Create a budget and actually stick to it
    • I am currently transitioning from old budget to new budget, but I have been MUCH better about my spending. I try to cook more often, go home for lunch and not shop as often (but do it when I need a reward!)
  • Paint at least one piece of art this month
    • I painted my picture LAST NIGHT! Its a tornado, shown in this blog. I was really struggling with what I wanted to paint, but I have always been fascinated by tornadoes (I wanted to be a storm chaser for a while, but my mom would have had a heart-attack) and I think the colors and shapes that they create are beautifully frightening!
  • Create overall career goals and understand how to get there
    • I recently got hired full time at my job and am doing exactly what I want to do! I have a few long term goals that I am still working on, but I definitely got over the hump of just deciding what I want to do and how to get there :) 
  • Let myself enjoy something luxurious this month
    • I went shopping out of boredom to accomplish this. I wanted to get a few new things and had a few gift cards that I hadn't touched. So this worked within my budget, but I felt glamorous having 5 bags worth of merchandise
  • Figure out how to take my blogs to the next level
    • I am working to do this, and it really inspired me that I was is included in the People Report Summer Camp Newsletter (#prscamp) I never thought that anyone would find what I write about that notable and it truly helps me to follow this path.
  • Go to HH at least once a week with various friends to stay in touch
    • I have been doing this and I feel like my life is much richer for it. Even though this can sometimes be conflicting with my budget goal, I know that I have enough money to put into this. I actually went one step further and attended a very good friend of mine's bachelorette party in San Antonio. I said yes based upon this goal, even before I knew if I could go or afford it. I am glad that I set aside money to attend and hang out with these beautiful ladies that I used to spend so much time with. I found out that the soon to be bride was actually moving and it would be one of the last times I could spend with her. Resulting from that trip are subsequent HHs and communications that I enjoy so much that its hard to describe! 

This challenge has really taught me the importance of taking a step back and looking at your life. I wanted my life to be filled with great relationships, creative outlets, career successes and giving back to the community. Through these 30 days I was able to construct a lifestyle that is conducive to that idea. I feel like my life was richer and not so monotonous. I'm going to keep working at keeping these goals over time and working towards the ones I have yet to accomplish. Thank you #TR30Days for the little push I needed to really take control of what I wanted and now GETTING THERE!

6 comments:

  1. So proud of you! I definitely need to try this! Goal #1...see Belinda Smith more than once every 3 months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom is a friend of your father's and she told me to take a look at your blog. It is so inspirational and well thought out. On this section however, you said you went shopping because you deserved a reward. I think you would find the Italian (European) perspective on rewards interesting. The actual idea of deserving a reward for your efforts is a very American idea. We think, I worked hard to day I should eat out to celebrate. Then we punish our selves for spending that money and eating too many calories. Then we do what we are told is "better", stay home eat low calorie food and then again we can reward ourself. This cycle of guilt and the momentary elation from rewards is rediculous. In Italy if you want to eat it, you eat it. If you want to take a nap because you are tired, you take it. They do not ever ask themselves, "Do I deserve this nap?". I think this idea of rewards is another way to be kept in the slavery to corporate life and expectations that society places on us and that we accept without question. Like you said so many times before that comment, Just do it! Why be hungry, tired, or pass up chances for happiness just to stay in the boundries society has placed on us? I love the blog and your painting is amazing!

    Stella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments Stella! I definitely see your points and find it interesting others' views regarding rewards. Thanks for saying my painting was good! I was so nervous to post it :) I hope that you and others continue to gain insight and spark conversation through this blog!

    ReplyDelete