Thursday, July 21, 2011

Harry Potter Reminded Me to Fight for What is Right


I’m sure many of you have already seen the last installment of the Harry Potter films; Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2. I went early on a Sunday morning to avoid lines and craziness and was able to see it in 3D XD, which apparently means it has higher definition. It was definitely worth seeing in 3D, so I’d recommend it. I’ve been reading the series since age 11 (I thought it was cool that Harry was the same age as me) and I’m glad that so many people have been able to enjoy such a great series! 

Throughout the movie, Harry and his allies are fighting so hard to defeat the Wizarding World of Lord Voldemort. At times, it seems that the fight is completely hopeless, with many of Harry’s friends and family perishing along the way. At one point, it even seems that the “dark side” has triumphed, but all of the characters continue to fight, injured and broken with their loved ones being put in danger. I especially liked the portrayal of Professor Snape and his almost tragic devotion to Harry’s mother and the cause to end the darkness that Voldemort has created. 

On my way home, I thought about how hard those individuals fought to ensure that the next generation, and the current one would experience a better tomorrow. And even thought this is an extreme situation, I think that it can be applied to everyday life. “What is right is almost never easy.” I’ve heard that phrase multiple times throughout my lifetime. I feel as if I’m constantly fighting when doing anything “right” whether it is something for me personally, like furthering my career or something for someone else as in helping a friend with a bad situation. It almost seems as if doing the wrong thing is the easier and sometimes better decision. 

I’ve made it a personal goal throughout my life to do what I believe to be right and sometimes it costs me things. For example, I taught dance for a number of years at a local recreation center. One summer, a parent complained that I required dance shoes for dance class (go figure). My boss was out and I was reporting to her boss. He informed me that I was not allowed to require shoes, and if I did, I’d lose my job. Outside of the financial impact, I LOVED that job, but I would not put my kids in a situation where they could become injured because a parent wanted to save $11. I ended up losing the job and being really upset about the position I was put in. It all ended up working out in the end (as I got an awesome internship that I wouldn’t have applied for) and I got to move on. Even though I lost something I liked, I wasn’t going to compromise what I knew to be right in the situation.

This becomes harder as more people become dependent on you for support. I’ve definitely faltered and chosen the easy thing rather than the right thing and I NEVER felt good about it and it almost never turned out how I really wanted it to. I think too many of us do what is easy out of convenience and it turns into a world of doing what is not right. I am always overjoyed hearing stories of people doing what is right, even when it comes at a cost as it inspires me to do the same. So the purpose of this entry is to challenge everyone (myself included) to do what is right, even at a cost, and to see what happens from there!  

No comments:

Post a Comment