Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Talkin' 'Bout My HR Function


This entry is a little more work-related than usual and specifically related to my line of work. For those of you that don’t know, I work within the HR space, and develop selection assessments for a variety of clients and positions, but mostly within the hospitality/restaurant space. Typically, the background required for this type of job is industrial organizational psychology. That background isn’t the easiest to explain, so I usually say it’s a “fancy HR with stats.” The reason that this entry is made is that I wanted to clear up some of the negativity surrounding this arena. It isn’t completely perfect; however, it is NOT mostly negative.

Many people really dislike my line of work as they don’t believe assessments or personality assessments have any real merit on predicting if an individual will be a good fit for the job. I’m one of those people that will not get upset if your opinion differs from mine, but I feel as if I should shed some light on this area of HR and why I think it DOES work. 

I think many people operate under the misconception that psychologists and psychologically based tests are there to judge individuals as being “good” or “bad.” They imagine a psychologist in a white coat with crazy hair overanalyzing every little detail and judging certain things as “abnormal.” Just as an FYI, people aren’t ever seen as abnormal and psychologists are hardly normal. The only edge I really get from being privy to the information from personality tests, etc.  is that I know a lot about myself and what my tendencies are. I’m hardly normal and hardly perfect. What people don’t understand (and how could they, unless they work in the industry), is that in my position, we are trying to balance giving a job to a deserving person, and selecting the best candidate from the perspective of the client/organization.

Honestly, from my perspective, I WANT you to get the job! I do, however, need to recommend the candidates that I think will be the best fit for my client. By fit, I mean, has a personality that will thrive in that work environment, be able to do the job minimally and that in turn will result in outcomes such as retention and job satisfaction. Have you ever been in a job where you hate your coworkers, are forced to work in conditions that aren’t ideal for your productivity and have trouble really believing and acting in accordance with the company mission? I definitely have and it’s HORRIBLE. While I may have very much needed a job and income, I was miserable and that was resulting in adverse effects; effects on the organization and on me as the individual. Miserable employees do not represent the organization well, in any situation, and having a miserable job really does affect a lot of facets of one’s life. 

Assessments as well as other NEEDED aspects of the selection process (interviews, realistic job previews, etc.) can and do regularly predict success within a job and an organization. These types of things aren’t (or at least should not be) pulled at random and developed “willy-nilly.” There is quite a bit of scientific and statistical rigor that goes into these types of things (I won’t bore you with details). The basics of it are that these types of things are developed having actual indicators of good performance, retention, job satisfaction, etc. in hand and are linked to them statistically to best predict those outcomes. 

I got into this field because I wanted to help people. I think we spend a lot of our time and energy at work, and while it can’t be fun all the time, it does not have to be miserable.  I also want it to be clear that these tests are not the be-all-end-all of the selection process. They are one component of it. In stats, we are taught that the more data points you can get on something, the more accurate the overall picture is. So, the more times that we can measure something from a job-seeker, the more likely our view will be an accurate, overall picture. 

FYI this is a pic of my work team who do the same thing I do. And yes, we are playing Whirlyball!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment