Tuesday, September 13, 2011

What Sorority Recruitment has Taught Me About Life.


I recently attended my chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta’s fall recruitment process as an alumnus. While I have been an alumni for 4 years now, this year was a little different as my little sister (biological, ha) was an integral part of the executive recruitment board who is in charge of planning and executing this large task. My sister asked that I help in a few steps of the process to get the chapter up to speed on what to expect and how to deal with any unforeseen difficulties. I got to attend a mock recruitment day where the active girls got to actually practice talking to strangers (the alumni) in the recruitment setting. In addition, I got to attend one of the recruitment days and got to see the girls work together to make the experience special for the potential new members. I also heard ALL about any issues from my sister so I had a good feel as to what was going on during the entire planning and implementing process. I had been saying to the girls all along that a lot of these skills have helped me later in life, but it’s hard to see how when you are still an active member.  So here is my wrap up of what exactly helped me:

  • Stress tolerance: When planning a huge event, there are many loose ends, many coordinating efforts and an overall inundation of multiple things. This normally occurred while school was in session and girls had to learn to manage classes, jobs, finances and this big event. While it seems impossible as an active, this really helped later for me in graduate school and even onto the workplace. When things seem crazy, I know that they are not impossible and I learned how to cope with stress effectively through recruitment directly.
  • “Playing with others:” While I have not mastered this completely, being forced to work with a large group of girls, and some that, frankly, you just really couldn’t stand helped me to work better in groups. It could be a personality issue, performance issue (not doing the work) or some other issue. What it came down to is that even if you LOATHED a girl or another group, you were forced to “make it work.”
  • Staying positive: I am definitely not an optimist, and I consider myself a realist. In any large, complex event, things will and do go wrong. How you react to it is everything. I’m sure many Greek girls will sympathize when I say that the PowerPoint or video will magically REFUSE to work when it needs to. Lights go off, decorations fall down and speeches are muddled. Girls don’t join a group based upon the event planning; they join it based upon the personality of the chapter. Being negative and not solving the issue does not accomplish anything other than making you or those around you feel bad.
  • Delegation: I am the type of person who likes to do things themselves if I know what I want done and how. If you have ever been in a leadership position for a large task, you know that you HAVE GOT TO delegate to individuals on the team. This can range from simply handing off the task or mentoring and training an individual in how to do it. Learning how to effectively delegate and set people up for success is necessary to succeed in any leadership position. In addition, recognizing that people will shirk responsibilities and how to deal with that is also important.
  •  Networking: This is probably obvious, but I wanted to cover it anyway. Learning how to find common ground with ANY individual is necessary to be successful in any job, position, role or organization. Meeting new girls and making them feel comfortable is a skill that can be used over and over in a variety of situations.
  • Becoming self-aware: When working with such a large group on such a large task, your weaknesses REALLY come to light. Maybe you aren’t the best at time management, delegation or communication. In addition your strengths really begin to shine under this type of pressure. Using these types of situations to figure out what you are good at, struggle with and developing ways to leverage your strengths while still developing your weaknesses is necessary to succeed in any function.

  • Gaining a voice: Learning to not be afraid of confrontation and learning how to confront negative behavior in the right way is integral to being a successful leader and peer. While difficult to develop, this really helped me to interact better with those that I felt were slacking on a task or just being difficult.
While I could go on and on about things that I learned and have used in graduate school and the workplace, I wanted to end it here. These were the things I found MOST important and I hope that some others can comment on things that they learned. This is only one experience, so I’m sure many others have many different experiences on what is important to take away from learning experiences such as this. Comments are definitely welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment