Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Corporate Controversial

I was contemplating what topic I wanted to cover today with this entry and I went through a series of options. I tend to like writing about things that I wish I had done differently or something that was an unexpected obstacle so that others may avoid it. I always appreciated hearing those types of commentaries from others so that I can at least attempt to have a smoother time, whatever the situation is or was. This entry will be a little different though. It is something that I don’t struggle with, but that I get in trouble a lot for.

If you have ever met me in “real-life” you know that I am confrontational, have a voice and often controversial. While I don’t try to be this way, and I try to harness it as much as I physically can, it just is my personality. I don’t mind when people tend to not agree with me, and I don’t mind receiving feedback to “rein it in” (though the initial session is always tense…). While I think there is a balance to everything, and that my way is typically pretty abrupt, I think that losing this part of me can be detrimental to my identity, career, etc. And I think that losing your voice can be detrimental to everyone. 

I think in the United States, because of the way professionalism is defined, that people tend to fall in line to keep their jobs (why wouldn’t they?) which can result in a sense of groupthink when it comes to handling issues, planning for the future, or just maintaining the business. I think this is one reason that American businesses are struggling when compared to foreign businesses regarding things such as creativity, innovation and vision. There are multiple antecedents that can be to blame for these types of problems: traditional education, the economy, differences between generations, etc. I think one of the big reasons is simply that people are scared or not willing to speak up.  

This is especially true when we look at the norm for corporate professionalism.  The norm is that you highly respect your leadership, you dress a certain way, and you sugarcoat anything that may make your superiors “lose face.” While I understand that leadership deserves respect, I think that people’s definitions of respect can be problematic when attempting to run a business. Respect should never mean agreeing with everything they say. It should never mean that you can’t display an appropriate level of passion around your ideas. Respect also doesn’t mean that you should agree when your ideas are shot down. 

I’ve experienced all of these definitions of respect in various jobs and when questioned, no one ever wants to talk about it. They just want to believe that people (like me) are trying to hurt or undermine them. I just never understand why they don’t see it as people trying to HELP them. Attempting to do new and different things to set this business apart from others, even if they are unconventional are at least worth a dignified conversation rather than a blanket NO. 

I don’t believe that anyone in history made it to the books by being a complete follower. If we desire to be “thought leaders” of the world, then let people BECOME those people. If we continue this norm of falling into place and following explicit directions, then where will the next crop of leaders come from? Once they get to a leadership position, no new ideas will emerge, because that creativity and innovative spirit has never been cultivated. Those things are like muscles and need to be stretched, trained and strengthened. I believe that even though it may be difficult and frustrating most of the time that attempting innovation and attempting to reach a vision is necessary for an individual’s professional development.

1 comment: